Our News

Latest news from our blog

TSB Alumni Spotlighting

TSB Alumni Spotlighting

By Unene Gregory on 4th Aug 2021 in News

We are proud of our alumni! They go on to make a positive impact in their respective spaces. Our Alumni Spotlight feature shares the reflections of TSB alumni on their time at TSB and their achievements as alumni.

This month we got to know Dr Makkie Pieterse.

1. Graduation year:
    2021
  1. Please share your current occupation title and employer, and briefly describe what you are currently doing for work and the path you took to get to this point:
    Assistant Registrar at Tshwane University of Technology. I am the HOD of the Certification Management Office where we confirm the issuing of qualifications and arrange all TUT graduation ceremonies. I have been working at TUT for 20 years, in the Academic Administration environment. Pursuing further studies has assisted me to advance my career.
  1. Why did you choose to do a DBA and what was your research title?
    My research title was “Factors That Affect Efficiency in The Utilisation of Performance Management Data Sets at The Tshwane University of Technology”. While I was Busy with my masters degree I already knew what my DBA studies will entail.
  1. Why did you choose to pursue your DBA at TSB?
    TSB was my obvious choice. Since I am an employee of TUT, I believe in my employer as an institution of higher education and have trust in the qualifications it presents. TSB has proven to offer credible qualifications.
  1. How did your TSB DBA prepare you for career advancement?
    Competition is very high within the environment I work; furthering my education has helped advance my career. Even though a DBA is not a requirement for my current position, I am ready to move forward should I have the opportunity to do so.
  1. What do you know now that you wish you had known before or while doing your DBA?
    I would have done better planning from the beginning.
  1. What advice would you give prospective and current DBA students?
    Do not give up! Find something to motivate you and surround yourself with people who will allow you to move forward. This is your journey, where you do introspection and grow, not only academically but also personally. You do your DBA for yourself and your own career.
  1. Describe TSB in three words:
    Commitment, motivation, support.
  1. Share your best TSB memory:
    The support of my supervisor.
  1. What is your greatest professional accomplishment?
    Completing my DBA and being appointed Assistant Registrar.